Friday, November 11, 2011

Vitamin D3 "Why take it?"

Vitamin D3 "Why take it?" its simple really. Each time we go to the vitamin section of our local grocery store or health food store we always ponder the longest at the vitamins. I know I do. What do they need? What is the most complete vitamin out there for my children and what more can I do for them so they get the proper amount daily. I am all about the natural way when it comes to my children's vitamins.

I am all about the natural way when it comes to my children's vitamins. I want them to get the most out of the vitamins they are taking. Everything from the purest vitamin C, Vitamin D, and multiple vitamins.

According to the Encyclopedia nutritional supplements,Vitamin D is best known for its ability to stimulate the absorption of calcium. Vitamin D also exerts many anticancer properties, especially against breast and colon cancer. The incidence of both colon and breast cancer is higher in areas where people are exposed to the least amount of light.

Vitamin D2 and D3 are the most common of the supplement form. The difference between them is that Vitamin D2 potency is less than one-third that of D3's. My children take one 400 I.U of a D3 supplement every day. It supports the teeth, bones, and immune system. I read up on this supplement and paid very close attention to the amount they should consume and took into consideration our northern location, cloud cover, and sun exposure.

According to the National Institutes of Health, complete cloud cover reduces UV energy by 50%; shade (including that produced by severe pollution) reduces it by 60%. UV radiation does not penetrate glass, so exposure to sunshine indoors through a window does not produce vitamin D.

Sunscreens with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 8 or more appear to block vitamin D-producing UV rays, although in practice people generally do not apply sufficient amounts, cover all sun-exposed skin, or reapply sunscreen regularly. Therefore, skin likely synthesizes some vitamin D even when it is protected by sunscreen as typically applied.

Season, time of day, length of day, cloud cover, smog, skin melanin content, and sunscreen are among the factors that affect UV radiation exposure and vitamin D synthesis.

Always do some research before taking a supplement and check out what dose the best for you and each one of your family members. Take into consideration age, environment, physical activity and nutritional intake from foods. Check and see what you are getting from your foods and if it is reaching the required amount.

For example, if you notice that you are not eating enough foods with iron in it, as a woman this is very important, than you may need to take an iron supplement, or a multivitamin with iron in it. I myself was diagnosed with an iron deficiency last year and was very anemic, my percentage was down to 12%. I had to start taking an iron supplement, with orange juice to aid in absorbtion, for a few months to get my levels up again.

Research and speaking with supplement professionals is always the best place to start when you are considering adding a new vitamin to your daily nutritional needs.

Get Suggestions from the Supplement Advisor!

No comments: